I just announced a call for proposals for projects to be funded from the New Horizons for Seniors Program (NHSP). The NHSP call for proposals is open until June 15, 2018, and is seeking projects led or inspired by seniors.
This program gives seniors the resources they need to remain active members of their communities. Not only that, but it also encourages seniors to enhance their health and well-being and enables them to stay active and share their knowledge, skills and experience with other seniors.
Eligible organizations can receive up to $25,000 in project funding. Starting this year, organizations that have not benefitted from NHSP funding during the last five years can receive up to $5,000 as part of the new small grants pilot project.
Organizations are invited to apply for funding, under the following three national priorities, for projects that empower seniors to initiate and participate in activities that benefit:
- Vulnerable seniors populations,
- Focus on diversity of Canada’s seniors; and
- Promote volunteerism to increase an organization’s capacity.
Since 2004, the Program has funded more than 21,600 projects in communities across Canada, with a total federal investment of more than $452 million. Since elected, Maguire has helped secure funding for numerous projects across Westman and has worked closely with senior’s organizations on improving their facilities and programming.
Eligible recipients include:
- Not-for-profit organizations such as charities, activity clubs, volunteer organizations, professional associations, museums, churches or faith-based associations or in some cases, sports associations
- Coalitions, networks and ad hoc committees
- Municipal governments
- Public health and social service institutions
- For-profit enterprises (provided that the nature and intent of the proposed activity are non-commercial, not intended to generate profit, and supports program objectives)
Eligible project costs could include:
- Renovations or repairs
- Salaries, wages (including administrative costs). Must not account for more than 25% of the total amount requested from the NHSP
- Trades/construction contractors, installers, technicians, etc.
- Transportation and meal delivery service to seniors in rural and remote areas
- Feasibility studies needed for physical work, including environmental assessments
- Support home visit or phone call service to isolated seniors, seniors living alone and to seniors caregivers, in rural or remote regions
- Purchase of materials and supplies
- Rental and maintenance of equipment
- Rental of space or other facilities
The New Horizons for Seniors Program continues to improve the living conditions of our senior’s right here in Westman. I encourage all seniors’ organizations to apply for the New Horizons for Seniors Program. To receive an application or more information, please call my Parliamentary office at 613-995-9372 or email Larry.Maguire@parl.gc.ca
For more information on the NHSP please visit: https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/funding/new-horizons-seniors-community-based.html