Today, Larry Maguire, Member of Parliament for Brandon-Souris, on behalf of the Honourable Michelle Rempel, Minister of State for Western Economic Diversification, announced funding to the Assiniboine Community College (ACC) to expand technical skills training capacity to meet the growing need in Manitoba's agriculture sector.
The Government of Canada will provide $160,000 towards the purchase a self-propelled sprayer that will improve the Agricultural Equipment Technician and Heavy Duty Equipment Technician programs. In addition, ACC will enhance its apprenticeship technician programs increasing employment opportunities for students.
The equipment will also be utilized off-campus to support skills upgrades for staff at local service shops and mechanics. ACC will partner with industry to design and deliver an industry-specific training program that will lower maintenance costs, increase productivity and shorten technician training periods.
- ACC has been in operation for 50 years and offers more than 40 diploma and certificate programs across a variety of disciplines including culinary arts and hospitality, business, agriculture and environment, health and human services, trades and technology.
- The college also delivers apprenticeship programming in a range of skilled trades disciplines, upgrading for post-secondary/adult education, English language training and continuing studies courses with over 2,800 full-time and 8,500 part-time students.
- The Agricultural Equipment Technician program is delivered 9 times per year with an enrolment of 12 students for each session.
- The Heavy Duty Equipment Technician program is delivered 7 times per year with an enrolment of 84 students for each session.
- Funding from the Government of Canada will be provided through the Western Diversification Program.
"Our Government is proud to support Assiniboine Community College as it strives to increase skills development and training to meet the growing demand in the agriculture sector. The purchase of specialized equipment will mean greater opportunities to provide on-campus training as well as in-the-field training offering skills upgrades to staff at local service shops and mechanics."
Larry Maguire, Member of Parliament for Brandon-Souris
"This new equipment will introduce students to the latest sprayer technology in the agricultural sector, providing them with valuable experience and hands-on training."
Mark Frison, President, Assiniboine Community College